The Light the World prompt came across my messages this morning with this:
"Share inspiring stories online about your ancestors."
I've been meaning to share something that happened while I was in Oregon and this is the prefect reminder.
The first day there I wanted to find some of my ancestors.
We first found the fallen police memorial in Waterfront park where my great grandfather's name is on the wall.
His story is one of love and enduring.
He died because of his service to the people of Portland as a police officer.
Then we visited my grandma Claire Lucille's grave.
I think she went by Lucille.
I have felt connected to her for a little while.
Then just a day after that I received a message from a relative that said, "I heard a rumor that Marsha was Claire's but not Edgars."
I have never been in contact with this person before.
And that sent a ball rolling.
By the time I got home and a day after I came to know that the person I believed was my mother's father was not.
I kind of kicked myself because I am a genealogist and somehow I missed this.
It was funny because I looked in my family history journal where I have DNA matches that I couldn't figure out where they went and all of sudden I knew what was going on.
All these pieces went into place.
By the end of a few hours I knew that my grandfather's last name was McKay.
I contacted my mother and through some encouragement I was able to get her to tell me what she knew.
It is not a coincidence to me that I knelt at my grandmother's grave on one day and the next I received a message that led me to new discoveries.
There were people that wanted to be found.
And a lot of them!
I'm so grateful for these connections that span beyond the grave.



No comments:
Post a Comment