Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Fireweed, cucumbers and strawberries


Yesterday morning I took a walk. I had Trapper and Corban to keep me safe. Trapper ran along side me, running into the woods and weeds every other moment and Corban rode the 4 wheeler right next to me very slowly. I thought about how much I adore my sons. How much they love and protect me all the time. Sons are pretty awesome!

As I was walking I saw this fireweed and had to take a picture. In Alaska, the fireweed is one of the most prolific and constant signs of summer. It is everywhere you go. Sometimes you can find it in HUGE patches along side the road. When the last bloom falls, the legend says, that the first snow is only 6-8 weeks away. I've never actually tested this theory, although it seems that it is off by several weeks. Some people are discouraged when they see the last bloom and the lower stems turn to fluffy white seed pods because it means summer is over. To me, I get excited because it means autumn is right around the corner, like within a week. This autumn I hope to do some hiking. It means the Fair is almost here. It means sweathshirts and hot cocoa. It means colored leaves and foliage. There is a nip to the air that makes you want to turn on the heater and this year we will have the added smell of a wood burning stove to add to Autumn. I just love it!

We've been picking and picking strawberries. Yesterday we picked about 13 lbs and on Friday we picked 10 lbs. I did make some jam and want to make more. Plus I am sure that there is some strawberry shortcake in our future. We have also been picking cucumbers.
 We have both the eating kind and the pickling kind and the pickling kind are taking over. Matt looked up a recipe that he wants to try with them. We'll need to do it soon. Also, I am hopeful that at least one or two of my pumpkin make it. I started the plants really, really late and have a few little pumpkins but we'll see if they get big enough in enough time. We'll probably have strawberries for another month or two with the way they continue to flower so I hope we get some warm weather still. It's pretty nippy this morning.

I am loving living at Harvest Point. It just feels so good here!

No comments: