Friday, December 18, 2015

I am Santa!


This last year Corban learned some things.
He learned that a big, fat man dressed in red does not come into our home on Christmas eve and leave gifts.
He learned that he doesn't eat the cookies and there is no sleigh.
He learned there are no flying reindeer.
For some this realization may seem devastating.
Others will say that we have robbed him of his childhood.
Some may even think that we should have continued to perpetuate the magic of it all.
This morning I was taught something though.
And what I learned is just the beginning of the magic for him.

We were sitting in my bed scrolling through my facebook together when we happened on a video of a Santa leaving gifts at a cemetery.
Corban said, "That's not the real Santa."
In that moment I realized that it WAS the real Santa.

I explained to him that any one who lifts a burden, gives a heartfelt gift, brightens a heart, or brings someone closer to Christ IS Santa.

He now knows that there is no mysterious man that leaves gifts, but I hope he will soon come to understand, that in that knowledge, he becomes Santa.
Now he gets to be the one to lighten the load, to bring a smile, to serve others and to bring someone closer to Christ.

It is another way that we are covenant keepers. We mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and bear one another's burdens. (Mosiah 18:8-9)

And if that is all true, if that is what Santa really does, than I hope that I can always say, "I am Santa!"

No comments: