Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday with Corban


Today Matt had a meeting at the temple and the other three had a fireside, so that left Corban and I. I started out doing some family history work for another person and was super excited as I found record after record. Than Corban, who was bored, asked me to build an air fort with him. It's a blanket fort that is blown up by fans. So, I decided it was probably best to spend some time with the living and not just the dead. We made a fort and then he decided that I don't make air forts very good and he needed a vanilla cake. So I told him to find a recipe and write it down. The writing down part he complained about, but he did it anyway, minus a few ingredients...like sugar... and then I helped him make the cake. It was his first one that he did basically by himself. I'm still surprised that this year will mark his 11th birthday.

As far as he is doing in general, we've had a few bumps in the road. His doctor's appointment last week revealed that he has not gained a single pound since August. He has grown a little but that was it. He just was never hungry. His ADD meds were not working as well as they had been which was causing that 'deer in the headlights' look and also serious moods swings. Never anger, just lots of tears. Matt said he wanted him off the meds. I completely agreed. So off he is! He is going to struggle in school until the end of the year but he has come to realize that he is smart. He just has a hard time focusing. It might be genetic. Since I started writing this I have already gotten up twice to do other things.

Next year we will home school. I really think that will be better for him. In the class room he is required to sit still all the time. It is a lot of busy work, shuffling papers. At home we can learn new things that don't require sitting still hour after hour. I am sure it will be a challenge, everything worth anything is, but I am looking forward to it. And in the next months I hope he puts on some weight.

No comments: