Friday, December 22, 2017

Relationships

It became VERY evident to me, through some interactions with people that are close in relation, that I needed to learn how to show forth more love, empathy and compassion but still maintain healthy boundaries.
I called my sister, Tracie and asked her to recommend a book that taught how to do that.
She replied with, "The New Testament"
And I may have said "Shut up" out loud. 
But then the a thought popped into my mind on how to do that. 
The idea came to study every single interaction that Christ had with other people in the New Testament and try to learn how he responded in each situation. 
Since seminary is out for two weeks this is the perfect time to do such an indepth study. 
It has been fascinating and eye opening.
I wanted to share some of the ones that have impacted me the most. 
Some have helped me feel better about things I am doing and others have given me direction on how to handle different circumstances.
I imagine as this study continues I will find all the answers that I am seeking. 

Principles I have learned from Christ about how to interact with others:
  • When others come to us and ask for our help we should help them. (Matt 8:1-4)
  • Even though we may be different than someone and we may follow different life paths we can still recognize the good in them and help in appropriate ways. (Matt 8:5-14)
  • We can be more like Christ by being kindly honest in our interactions with others. (Matt 8:18-20)
  • My understanding of the plan of salvation and faith in Christ can help me calm the storms in others and remain calm. (Matt 8:23-27)
  • It is okay to not spend our energy/time on those who are judgmental of us or try to distract us from our purpose. (Matt 9:10-13)
  • We need to be careful of who we 'let in'. (Luke 8:41-42;49-56; Matt 9:18-19,23-26 and Mark 5:21-24,35-43)

The last one I thought was very interesting and helped me a lot.
The philosophy of the world is that we need to let everyone in and everyone should be included in everything, but that is not what I am finding to be true in regards to this study. 
I have also noticed that Christ NEVER sought someone out to call them to repentance. 
This has helped me resolve a conflict that I've been struggling with. 
I'm grateful for my sister's suggestion even though initially I was resistant.

It's true that the scriptures have the answers to EVERY SINGLE question we will have in this life.
I imagine I will learn quite a bit more over the next two weeks.

No comments: