Thursday, April 7, 2016

Oh! It is Wonderful!


There is a scripture in 2 Nephi 32:5 which says, "For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do." The requirements for being able to know what to do is to enter by the way- which means being baptized- and receiving the Holy Ghost-which is a gift given after baptism, but is received every day we choose to receive it.

I choose to receive it. I need the help that comes from being shown what to do.
Even when the way that is shown is not something I want to do.

I have been weighed down a little bit with having too many things on my plate. This week I finished up my classes and felt a burden lifted. However, homeschooling Corban has weighed heavily on my shoulders. I have tried to fit it in as I have an hour or so after dropping Makenna off at school, going to the gym, and teaching seminary. He has been getting the raw end of the deal. However, if you ask him he loves being alone with the tv and video games in his underwear. Last week the living room looked like something out of the Lord of the Flies.

Anyway, this morning as I was headed to the gym, after dropping Makenna off, I was trying to work out in my mind how to be able to do a better job. I pooled my social network a few days back and got great suggestions for curriculum that is going to be awesome. I got to the gym and went to my class. Near the end of the class I knew what I needed to do and it was NOT the answer I wanted.

But that doesn't matter.

When I first learned about personal revelation it was when I was a teen. I was so intrigued by it that I wanted to know everything about how, when, where, and why. Over the years I have come to recognize when I am being shown the things I need to do. And because I am who I am, I am going to follow that counsel. Even though I shed tears over it on my way home talking to Matt on the phone.

The answer: Quit working out in the mornings. This will allow the needed time.

I know people who say God does not answer their prayers. I find that very, very hard to believe. I think He answers them all the time. We may not recognize those answers though. They can come at anytime of day and in multiple different ways, but He does answer prayers. And sometimes those answers are that we need to put our selfish desires aside to serve someone else. I love the workout classes in the morning. They are not offered in the afternoon or evening. I will be on my own to get my workouts in.

At first, after the tears, I said, I will do this because that is what parents do. They sacrifice for their children. The more I think about it, the more I think- I will do this because I KNOW who I am and I know that following the promptings of the Holy Ghost ALWAYS brings blessings. I will do this because I needed help and He sent help and I am just a single soul in this HUGE world. Surely there are other much more pressing things that need to be attended to, but He cares about me. I will do this because I trust Him.

On another note: I spent some time outside tonight. I sat on the porch and listened to my wind chime sing a song, I walked down the driveway and heard the same breeze blow through the brown grass. And then to my delight I found that a few of my rhubarb plants made it through the winter and I am so excited for some strawberry rhubarb crisp in a few weeks.

No comments: