Friday, November 30, 2018

Shakin'

Funny Story:
So this morning I left the house at about 820 or so to take Makenna to babysit for someone.
The front end of my car has been acting up lately so I have been particularly aware of how the car feels when I drive.
Well, we were headed down the road and it was NOT driving right.
The first thing I thought was that something major had broken and the wheels had tilted inward.
I tried to slow the car down while I called Matt to come and get us.
I stopped the car but it kept moving.
I had no idea why that would happen.
I turned off the car worried.
It continued to move.
I thought that it was going to explode or something so Makenna and I got out.
As we stepped out of the car, Matt had answered and was freaking out about an earthquake.
At no point, until that moment, did it ever occur to me that we were experiencing an earthquake.
It was a 7.2!
We got back in the car while Matt told me how bad it was, how things fell off the walls, and things were broken.
He told me that kids were having a hard time.
Then he told me he wanted me to turn around and come home because there was a tsunami warning.
Well, I had passed a few cars and they told me the road was broken up a bit ahead.
We kept going while I called the lady Makenna was supposed to babysit for.
I wanted to see the cracks.
They were pretty substantial but you could maneuver over them if you went slowly. 
We turned around and made our way home, stopping every car we could to tell them about the road.
One of the people told us about how bad the road past the prison was.
After I got home, Matt and I went to check on a neighbors house and decided to explore the really bad crack.
It was!
 Bridges are out, roads are closed, two high schools had a TON of damage, and my parents house didn't fair well evidently, but I don't think there is any death toll.
Our house is fine.
Corban was worried because we've had aftershocks all day, so he packed a suitcase to evacuate.
He was telling me what was in it and explained he forgot underwear and thought he probably should put that in there.
Hahaha.
I told Matt- Time to move! 
It's going to take a little while to fix all the broken roads but Alaska is pretty hard core and I'm sure mostly everything will be up and running again within days. 

No comments: